Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Garden Report

I harvested the garlic the other day. I was hoping for a higher yield, but no such luck. At least I got 20 heads even if they are on the small side. I'll have to look into why the garlic doesn't grow as large as I would like. The first year we grew garlic, it was decent size and we didn't have to buy garlic for two months. I doubt this harvest will get us a month without buying garlic, but we'll see.

I transplanted some beans to the garden hoping they are too big for the cutworms. So far it looks like they have gone untouched. Unfortunately I will not be having a good year for beans because of the cutworm problem. Now it is probably too late in the season to hunt cutworms in the middle of the night. I have to transplant some broccoli to the garden as well. These sprouts are smaller than the beans and another favorite of the cutworm. Hopefully they will survive too.

I pulled the spinach from the garden as it all bolted. We're left with collards as the only leafy green, and they are slowly getting eaten by aphids (and starting to bolt.)

No comments: