Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Harvest Time Again

Unfortunately not as bountiful in years past as I am still tending more to my daughter than to the soil.

This morning I made salsa from our yard with added items of cilantro and lime which I do not grow. After that, I spent an hour picking about two pounds of blackberries, 12 pears, and a few walnuts. It looks like the blackberries have a week or two more at best, depending on the patch location. While the pears seem to be just ripening. Jennifer actually told me they weren't ready when I brought them home. And of course, the walnuts don't seem to be ready either. I'm trying an experiment where I shook a few off the tree and brought them home to see if they dry to get the husks off. If I wait too long, the crows will get them all.

I readied the tomatoes and peppers for the final push and took some foliage off to hasten the ripening of the fruits. I also harvested about one plant worth of potatoes as well. The garden is looking a bit sorry right now as there is not much left. A row of beans, some carrots and shallots, and some struggling broccoli.


Right now I look forward to getting some garlic in the ground in the next few weeks and the final prep to plant our "orchard", berry patch and expand our garden. But I'll have to finish removing two very invasive and difficult to remove species: English Laurel and Holly. Once they are out, I'll be planting our two apple trees. I have laid out space for a (rasp)berry patch and I will move my tomato and pepper growing to the south side of the garage to give them better warmth. Hopefully I'll double my blueberry bushes from three to six, but we'll see about that.

No comments: