Monday, February 7, 2011

Sweet Mustard

I made mustard last year for the first time. It is really quite easy, although I don't know if it is cost effective. Not to mention, I just made a standard "brown" mustard and it was plenty spicy.

After making my whole wheat pretzels, I searched some local grocery stores for a good sweet mustard. I think they might have what I was looking for at the Bavarian Meats Deli in the Market, but I didn't have time to get there. Unfortunately Seattle just is not New Jersey when it comes to mustard shopping and the choices were fairly limited. Whole Foods had some interesting choices, but I wasn't willing to spend over five dollars for a jar of mustard. So I looked at some ingredients and decided to make my own.

Due to my current no recipes lifestyle, I couldn't figure out what recipe I used to make mustard in the past. I once again did an online search and it started coming back to me. Most mustard recipes call for soaking the seeds in vinegar overnight before preparing the mustard. I had an hour. I decided to give it a go anyway. A sweet mustard at Whole Foods used balsamic vinegar. I used that instead of my normal cider vinegar. I added a touch of red wine and rice vinegar too, as I was slightly afraid of the mustard tasting too much like a balsamic vinaigrette. After soaking for barely and hour I put the concoction in a food processor and started to mill. I added about two tablespoons of molasses and continued to add more and more balsamic vinegar until it got to a consistency that I thought correct. Oh, and I also added 2-3 teaspoons of brown sugar. I wasn't super happy with it, but when I ate it with the pretzel at the party, it went well together. Good thing too, because we brought about a cup of it home.

No comments: