Monday, February 28, 2011

The Stumbling Goat Bistro

The cat is out of the bag!

The Stumbling Goat Bistro calls itself Seattle's Best Kept Secret on their website. I'm inclined to agree as many people who I talk to about the Stumbling Goat have never even heard of it before. Yet, the restaurant is probably one of the best in Seattle. One of the best I have been to for sure.

Jennifer and I went over a week ago to celebrate coming to term. And perhaps a sort of Valentine's Day dinner as well. We called it the last time we may dine out before the baby. We had attempted to go on Friday February 11, but the place was full, and we were not surprised. We came back mid-week and early and had no problem getting a table. The last time we were here was for my birthday, possibly a year earlier, or perhaps two. I don't recall us making reservations, and we sat at one of the bistro tables near the bar.

Sitting at the bar waiting for a table, turned us onto something we did not previously know about The Stumbling Goat. They have great cocktails. This time around Jennifer wasn't imbibing, but I couldn't resist and got the Kraken. This was presumably made with Kraken rum and turned out to be something like a dark and stormy on steroids. (I do remember from the cocktail menu that molasses was added.) The bartender concocted a mocktail for Jennifer. They have a really nice margarita here, but damp and cold of February in Seattle didn't lend itself to that particular drink.

Jennifer ordered two dishes off the menu, while both of mine came from the specials. Jennifer started with mushroom soup and had the winter truffle risotto for the main course. Both were good, but neither really suited my fancy. I had parsnip soup as my appetizer and rabbit as the main course. I really enjoyed the soup. The rabbit was great, but perhaps not exactly what I wanted that evening. It came with roasted root veggies that were also fantastic.

After that we decided to stay for dessert. Jennifer got the chocolate pudding and I had the apple cobbler. I don't recall tasting Jennifer's pudding, but she thought it delicious. The biscuit on the cobbler was seasoned with sage, and absolutely wonderful. I think it was the first time I ever enjoyed biscuit and fruit equally on a cobbler. (I'm usually in it for the fruit.)

A week after I discussed the trip with a few friends. One had never heard of the restaurant, while the other was a fan. And who wouldn't be? The Stumbling Goat is quintessential Seattle, from the name, to all the locally sourced in season foods.

No comments: