Monday, December 20, 2010

Fatty's Corner Pizza

When this place opened earlier in the year Jennifer came home after walking past it and exclaimed "I think that place has real pizza!" We went to check it out shortly afterward and chatted with the owners. They are both from NY (I believe Brooklyn, but I am not sure.) Jennifer talked about the Mets and Giants with them while I waited patiently. As children of the NY Metro area, we are dissatisfied with most of what is called pizza in the Seattle area.

We ordered just a cheese pie and a calzone. I asked for extra garlic on the calzone, which was not a menu option. The pizza was definitely a New York style pizza and different than the typical Seattle pizza. The calzone was fantastic! It could be because I hadn't had one since moving to Seattle, or that they really do make a nice calzone.

Jennifer had been craving "pizza made by someone else" for a while. On occasion we make pizza at home using the Trader Joe's (whole wheat) crust from the refrigerated section. Jennifer often craves pizza we do not make and begs me to get on board with getting some. We were skiing yesterday and got home at a weird time and needed to buy groceries in order to prepare dinner, so we stopped at Fatty's on the way home. (It is close.) This time we got a cheese pie and a sausage, pepper and onion stromboli to bring home.

The pizza was good once again, but I think I like home made pizza more. (Most of my favorite pizza joints in NJ are brick oven.) The stromboli was disappointing to me as I felt it was mostly just a different shaped calzone. I am used to a stromboli being rolled, and not just filled. More like this. Don't get me wrong, it was good, but I felt it could have had more sausage, pepper and onion in it. I think for anyone in Seattle missing New York style pizza this is the place to go.

No comments: