Friday, December 3, 2010

Sweet Potato Soup

We have a bunch of recipes for sweet potato soup. Only I didn't follow any. If I recall, most involve peanuts or more ingredients that we didn't have. I had two white and one orange sweet potato left over from Thanksgiving. I had purchased a jalapeno at the store in the hope of using it with the sweet potatoes to make a soup. (Turns out I forgot to use the jalapeno.)

I started with a Mirepoix sauteed in vegetable oil. Then I added the cubed potato once the other veggies softened. I added one can of coconut milk and then about one cup of vegetable stock to cover the potatoes. Then I brought it to a boil and simmered for a while to cook the sweet potatoes. I blended the whole thing with an immersion blender and then added some Chinese Chile to give it some heat and a little color variation.


It came out nice, but I didn't add any salt and it was lacking a bit due to that. The thing is I usually do not add salt while cooking unless it is needed for chemistry. (Like raising the boiling point of water.) So the soup needed a little salt at the table, but I'm fine with that. Jennifer wasn't so much. Next time I'll try to remember the jalapeno.

No comments: