Monday, November 22, 2010

The Counter

After skiing yesterday I wanted a protein rich dinner. We didn't really have much at home that Jennifer was willing to eat, so we compromised by going to The Counter. I'm not a big fan of chain restaurants, but there are many reasons we go there. (More on that later.)

Seattle is a burger town, whether Seattleites want to admit it or not. This was immediately apparent to me when I moved here by the many local burger chains such as Dick's, Kidd Valley, BurgerMaster, and Red Mill. A stretch to call the two Red Mill locations a chain, but they are sort of a local institution and even Oprah had something to say about them. In addition the national burger chain Red Robin was started here, and they still make a pretty good burger. I'm not much into the fast food style burgers that the first four offer and I usually only eat at Red Robin in big groups where we need to find common ground. My favorite burger in Seattle is at Lunchbox Laboratory, but I don't think I've been there in nine months or so. Lunchbox makes custom burgers which can be overwhelming to a new patron of the restaurant with the high quantity of fixings choices.

The Counter is similar to Lunchbox, but a more relaxed atmosphere not trying to look up the options on a chalkboard and figure out what you want by the time you are first in line. The Counter allows you to check off your options on a sheet and then wait staff come by to take your order. I like Lunchbox, and The Counter because I can make up a burger that I would make at home, assuming I have all the ingredients. I will grill in the winter, but coming home in the dark after a day of skiing in near freezing temps doesn't really make me feel like lighting fire to charcoal.

So that's why we found ourselves at The Counter. We go there because they supposedly use humanely treated animals with no hormones or antibiotics which is important to me in choosing a restaurant that serves mammals on the menu. We also had a coupon of sorts where Jennifer paid $12.50 for $25 worth of food. Jennifer also thinks they make the best shakes in town, although I'd disagree. (A topic for another blog entry I'm sure.)

For the first time since going to The Counter, I did not have any sort of chile on my burger. My options went something like this: 1/3lb beef patty on multi grain bun with Tillamook Cheddar, red onion, grilled pineapple (always), pickle slices, fried egg and coleslaw. The coleslaw was unexciting, and I wouldn't get it again. Can't say I really noticed the cheese either, but it is no extra charge, so I'll keep trying. We got the 50/50 appetizer of sweet potato fries and onion strings, but I tried not. I'll eat a plate if put in front of me, but most people shouldn't be eating that amount of calories in one sitting. Good thing I probably burned 4000 calories or so out skiing.

Overall, I they make a good burger and so I had a good meal, but it is not a place I am going to tell every friend of mine to go to. In some ways I am ashamed to go there instead of making a burger at home. A few friends of mine have also had bad experiences there including one friend who got a burger with no patty. So perhaps their service is spotty?

No comments: