Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Senor Moose Cafe

In the last year or so this restaurant has catapulted into the leading spot for our favorite Mexican restaurant in Seattle. And it is a somewhat interesting way it got there. Last summer I had randomly picked up the Seattle Weekly best of issue. In that issue they had listed Senor Moose as the best Mexican in Seattle. I was in disbelief. The name of the restaurant was so odd, how could it produce the best food. Later that week I was at a picnic with former coworkers and I mentioned the Senor Moose Cafe. A former coworker of mine said he agreed with the assessment of it being best and stated that the dish he had there was just like the dish they serve on his brother's ranch (in Mexico.) I was sold and Jennifer and I went there the next week or so.

We've been back numerous times and always get the chips and salsa. The chips are fried up for each order, so they always come out hot and fresh. The five salsas you get with the chips are all delicious and a joy to eat as well. We occasionally get the Esquites as an appetizer which is great for dipping chips in as well.

They have a few vegetarian main courses for Jennifer to choose from. Last night she had the Enchiladas de Puya. The hostess said it was her favorite dish. I am pretty sure Jennifer has cycled through all the dishes that are vegetarian at this point.

I usually go with one of the pork dishes, but I have a hard time remembering which one I like best as the descriptions are similar. I am pretty sure it is the Manchamanteles as it has plaintains and pineapple. The last time I was there I had the Alambres which was a varied meat plate that was delicious and filling. Last night after having skied during the day I wanted something with a lot of protein. Easy to do with any of Senor Moose's meat dishes. I tried something new and had the Mole Colordito de Tututepec which so far was the least interesting of dishes I have had there. Not that it was bad, but I felt like I regretted my decision. A decision that was partially made by the fact that it was served with beans and not salad.

It was also nice going to Senor Moose on a Monday early as going later in the week and later than 5pm usually has us sitting at the counter because we don't wish to wait for a table. This may be one drawback of the restaurant is that it gets crowded and there is often a wait. But the wait is well worth it. Another possible detraction is that they do not appear to advertise if the meats are organic, grassfed or otherwise ethically and sustainably raised. This hasn't stopped me from ordering meat dishes there, but I am just playing ignorant so I can eat the delicious food.

No comments: