Friday, January 7, 2011

The Family Donut

The other day coming back from our walk we passed by the Family Donut. It is our local doughnut shop and one of the best in Seattle. And to me Seattle is a doughnut town. Perhaps it is because of the coffee culture? There are several good independent doughnut shops in Seattle including a vegan one. While I do enjoy a good doughnut, I do not eat them very often as they are not usually the best food for you. That and I rarely eat breakfast outside of my house. Doughnuts and restaurant breakfasts are the food you eat when you have out of town guests.

You need only to look on Yelp for the insight that The Family Donut is a good shop. The important thing is that I think they make the best apple fritter in Seattle. Which pretty much means I think they make the best apple fritter I have ever had. The apple fritter has chunks of apple (which many others lack) and is cooked well done, crispy on the outside and nice and soft on the inside. If and when I get an item from The Family Donut the fritter is it. Although I do supplement it with another doughnut at times.

By the time we were walking in the shop the other day it was late afternoon. They were sold out of apple fritters. I wasn't having a doughnut, but Jennifer wanted a fritter. She settled for their enormous bear claw. The bear claw is nice, but not on the same level as the fritter. It is essentially a jelly doughnut shaped like a (grizzly) bear claw with chunky apple cinnamon filling, much like an apple pie filling. It is good, but not great like the fritter.

Their other doughnuts are good too, but for the life of me I could not tell you why I would prefer a jelly from Family Donut to that of Top Pot or MightyO. Perhaps I wouldn't. But their cake and standard doughnuts are good too. I feel they are similar to satisfying the crave that Krispy Kreme does, but I wouldn't say they are like Krispy Kreme doughnuts. They are less expensive too in most cases. Speaking of cases, they usually have boxes of day olds for $3/dozen. That is a pretty good deal in these parts.

Not related to their doughnuts, but back when Jennifer was drinking coffee, this was not a place she liked to go. She is somewhat of a coffee snob, and does not enjoy the coffee served at The Family Donut. Since I am not a coffee drinker, I'm going to guess and say their drip coffee is more like Dunkin Donuts and less like Starbucks.

No comments: