Thursday, January 27, 2011

Tuna Fish Salad

This really is not a recipe type item. But when my mom-in-law was here recently she made tuna fish salad and I was surprised by the ingredients, or lack thereof. She only used mayonnaise and a little red wine vinegar. I was surprised.

For the longest time when I have made tuna fish salad, the dressing has essentially been tartar sauce. Which means I have almost always added chopped onion to the fish and then mixed mayonnaise and sweet pickle relish to finish it out. I was fairly happy with that for many years.

Recently I don't use the onion unless we have a suitable sized onion in the backyard. (You see, once I start cutting an onion, the whole thing goes into what I am making, so I try to avoid giant onions.) In recent years I have added Dijon mustard to the mix and sometimes I leave out the relish for some chopped hot peppers. (Pickled, from a jar.) This still adds some vinegar and gives some nice flavor to the dressing. I think I got the idea from the A&S Pork Store. I believe they had a sandwich called the "Hot Tuna" which I would order from time to time. That's the sort of sandwich restaurant you just don't find on the west coast.

No comments: