Sunday, January 2, 2011

Thai Fusion Bistro

I want to specify that this is the restaurant in Thornton Place, and not any other restaurant with a similar name. And while I did not scour the menu, I found no reason for the restaurant to have fusion in the title. The dishes seemed to be straightforward Thai.

We decided to have dinner out on New Year's Eve because we didn't have much in the pantry and many stores were closed, so buying new/more groceries seemed a little unlikely. We opted to head to the mall where we could get cheap Thai from the food court. But when we arrived at the mall things were looking a little closed. By the time we reached the food court, we were told they were closing in five minutes and we opted to leave. Jennifer remembered that the Thai Fusion Bistro was across the street at the apartment complex and we headed over.

It was crowded and we got the last table. Fortunately they were serving a regular menu and not some type of holiday menu. Jennifer was excited and ordered Pad Woonsen which is a dish she likes but often does not see on the menu in Thai restaurants. I went with the Pad See Ew. This restaurant uses a 1-4 heat scale and Jennifer ordered a two due to the fact they had chile sauces to bring to the table. I ordered a three because I usually order one under the top because I know I will add chile at the table.

Before the food came out our waitress brought over a plate with four containers on it. I was in luck! My favorite sauce, the soy/chile (with lime) was there. There was also crushed dried chile, pickled chiles (in vinegar) and a Sriracha type sauce that tasted "house made." I was immediately pleased. Our food came out not too long after considering how packed the restaurant was. I tasted mine before applying any hot sauces and was pleased. Both Jennifer and I found our dishes to have more flavor than many other Thai restaurants we have visited in Seattle. The Pad See Ew was distinctive and makes we want to come back for Pad Kee Mao which in many restaurants are prepared too similar to detect a difference.

I, of course applied copious amounts of hot sauces to my dish anyway because I love them. Jennifer found the "two" to be just hot enough and only used a small amount of the Sriracha because I raved about the bright flavors and the "homemade" taste.

While I love a good fried tofu, I have to say that I was interested in the tofu they prepared for our dishes. Instead of deep frying the tofu in cubes, it appears they fry it in sheets and then cut it up. While I imagine this to be healthier (with less fried surfaces) it was not the wonderful cubed fried tofu I am used to. I also wonder if fresh tofu is an option as I did not specify fried when I ordered.

Also the prices were reasonable and we enjoyed the place. Thai Fusion Bistro may have become our "go to" Thai restaurant for now.

No comments: