Saturday, January 1, 2011

Hot milk and mini wheats

I admit, I like cold cereal. I probably like hot cereal better, but rarely find the time to make it. We don't own a microwave, and instant oatmeal isn't really worth making. This usually means 5-20 minutes of stove top preparation to have a hot breakfast. I'm the type of person who likes to get breakfast out of the way and get on with my day. So usually I opt for cold cereal. Although lately I cannot get enough of Bob's Red Mill Right Stuff Cereal.

Possibly my favorite cold cereal type is mini wheats. I say type because I am currently eating some Kellogg's variation that is made with oats. I also like Wheetabix and their mini variants. Although typically I eat the Trader Joe's versions, my favorite is usually the Kashi Cinnamon Harvest.

Some time last winter I thought it would be nice to heat milk before applying it to mini wheats. After that thought I had seen a commercial from Kellogg's advertise this method of serving to mothers. I got around to trying it the other evening as this type of cereal is just as good of a snack as it is a breakfast. I was disappointed. The hot milk made the cereal instantly soggy. And the warmed milk didn't really add anything. I don't know what I was expecting or hoping for, but it will probably be a while before I try this again.

No comments: